Instructions: Read the sentences. Make
using "can't", "could" "may" "might" and "must" or an appropriate form of "be".
*If necessary, use "be" with any of the modals.
1. Annie goes to school from 9 am to 2 pm. It's 1:30 pm. Where's Annie?
be at home. She
be in biology class.
2. Ron likes playing soccer on Saturday mornings. It's Saturday afternoon. What's Ron doing?
still be playing soccer, can he? He
be at home by now.
3. Joanna never leaves her house before eating breakfast. Today she's running late. What's she doing?
be leaving yet. She
4. Pedro only skips work for important events. Today is the final game of the Soccer World Cup. Where's Pedro?
be at a bar watching the game. He
be watching the game online, but he
be in the office.
5. Rhonda and Jackie love watching movies. Their favorite movies are comedies, but they don't like animated movies very much. Today, a new 3D animated movie is premiered. What are they doing?
be at the premier, they don't like animated movies that much. They
be home watching a comedy.
> Modals for deduction
If you have problems with this exercise, download flash player and quicktime.
Link to this exercise from your website or blog: