exercises > linking words
"CONNECTORS" - Grammar Guide for Upper Intermediate and Advanced students
Contrast Clauses (although/ even though, but/yet, however, in spite of/despite)
Connectors of Reason & Result, Purpose and Contrast - Rephrasing
LINKING WORDS EXERCISES (KEY AND B&W VERSION INCLUDED)
* Choose the correct word/ phrase to complete the sentences.
1. At the hotel, we were provided with a very tidy room.
, the same was not true about the hotel lounge, which was a complete mess!
2. He has been studying abroad for three years
as a result
he can become a specialised doctor.
3. This meal is on me!
To sum up
, I invited you out!
4. A lot of environmentalists argue that it is preferrable to wear fake fur.
, the sales of real fur have been reduced.
we tried to convince her not to try such a dangerous sport, she just wouldn't listen.
6. Eating meat which has not been cooked properly is not only disgusting
7. Firstly, the electricity bill hasn't been paid yet.
On the whole
Apart from that
, we must also pay the credit card bill by the end of this week!
8. He looks as if he is very tough. At heart,
, he is really gentle.
9. You can choose
the roast lamb or the fish for your main course.
being late, I was not told off by Mum.
Link to this exercise from your website or blog: