IF Clauses (3rd of the SET) - Special Tense Use (2/2) - If + Past perfect + would have... or other modals
MODALS + PERFECT INFINITIVE
SHOULD HAVE ..... - past modal
Modal Verbs: Rephrasing
FUNCTIONS: Offering food and drink (27 / 5 / 09)
Fill in the blanks with the correct perfect modal:
MUST HAVE MIGHT HAVE COULDN'T HAVE SHOULD HAVE
COULD HAVE MAY HAVE CAN'T HAVE
gone to Russia. He doesn't have a passport.
2) Tom and Jack are so selfish - they
been there for you!
seen her. She was standing next to you.
4) I explained it to her but she
misunderstood - my Japanese isn't very good.
5) We'll ask at the reception desk. Someone
handed the keys in.
6) I don't know why there weren't any buses yesterday. There
been a strike, but I'm really not sure.
7) A: James was at the party last night.
been. He's in Mexico.
let you know what was happening but I forgot.
9) There was so much traffic. There
been an accident.
10) I saw his car in front of the building. He
called them yesterday. Now it's too late.
12) Thank you very much! I
passed the course without your help!