I. Mark the item that best completes each of the following sentences:
1) I'd never have a beer or whiskey before I drive. I'd rather have a (an) __________________ instead.
CASE GOODIES SOFT DRINK ICE CHEST
2) Let's see... Refreshments, decorations, balloons, invitation cards, a cake and CD's to make the party come alive. "_______________________________."
DON'T MENTION IT THAT SHOULD JUST ABOUT DO IT
HOLD YOUR BREATH I'LL CROSS THAT BRIDGE WHEN I COME TO IT
3) My house has got a garage ___________________ to it where I keep my car at night.
LOADED ATTACHED ON TIGHT UNDERNEATH
4) Jack's new apartment _____________ the Sugar Loaf Mountain and the view is wonderful.
FACES DESIGNATES MENTIONS STAYS UP
5) Tim didn't want to go to school, so he __________________ to be sick.
INTENDED DOUBTED BET PRETENDED
6) You must not yell inside hospitals, but talking quietly is ___________________.
ROTTEN ALLOWED INSTANT GENTLE
7) Wanda's kitty has yellow soft ___________________
TREATMENT FUR EMPATHY LENGTH
8) Susan was John's ___________________ while he was sick last month.
CAREGIVER FOSTER PARENT SHELTER CUDDLY
9) The time students need to do their tests _________________ from one to two hours.
PLACES MATURES IS UP TO DATE RANGES
10) There are two adults, three children and two puppies in my ___________________.
RATE ADOPTION HOUSEHOLD RESPONSIBILITY
11) Steve didn’t know the plumbing in his apartment was defective until __________________________________.
CALLED IT TO HIS ATTENTION CAME TO AN END
CROSSED THAT BRIDGE HELD MY BREATH
12) Dr. Johnson has received hundreds of letters from ___________________ patients from all over the state since he has always helped everyone who looks for him.
IRRESPONSIBLE GRATEFUL LAZY NOVICE
13) There are some workers _____________________ through that hill to make a tunnel.
DIGGING BURYING HONKING YELLING
14) Why don't you stop _________________ about your job and do something to improve it.
YAWNING UNLOADING SIMPLIFYING COMPLAINING
15) Since none of the students said who had broken the window at school yesterday, we were all ________ to a meeting with the principal.
SMUGGLED RELEASED SUMMONED BOILED
16) Lenny offered me some sweets but I ___________________ because I'm on a strict diet.
PASSED CRAWLED SHOUTED PROBED
17) I know the boss doesn’t like it when his employees play around with the computer, but I can’t help doing it. Kevin, please, __________.
SUIT YOURSELF SMELL TROUBLE KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR HIM GET DISCONNECTED
18) I guess Samantha ______________________ some time off since she’s been really stressed at work.
COULD EMBARK COULD DO WITH COULD GRUMBLE COULD HIDE
19) When the plane is about to take off, the flight attendant asks the passengers to put their seats in the __________.
X-RAY MACHINE OVERHEAD COMPARTMENT UPRIGHT POSITION OUTDOORS
20) The waiter brought our orders on a (an) ___________
TRAY HAND BAGGAGE WHEELCHAIR PILE
21) When leaving your house to go on vacation, make sure all the doors and windows are _____________ locked.
APPROXIMATELY CHILLY SECURELY SURGERY
22) Henry isn't afraid of being caught in the act of cheating on exams. I guess he enjoys_________________.
SCREAMING BEING OF ANY HELP DRIVING HIMSELF CRAZY PUSHING HIS LUCK
II. Use one of the words or expressions to complete each sentence properly. Don’t forget to make any necessary transformations. Use ONE word in each box.
| go along with||break down||save up|
| live it down||full of fire ||smell a rat |
| be on fire||boil ||save the day|
| fight fire with fire||role model||look up to |
| heroic||fire up ||scapegoat |
| play around with||play with fire|| look down on|
| goat||think highly|| smell trouble|
1) When I saw my boyfriend and that blond talking and laughing, I could a . So, I decided to and asked the most handsome guy at the party to dance with me. It worked out because my boyfriend came quickly and apologized to me for his stupid behavior.
2) Luisa Knew that John would be if he insisted on Tom's new computer. If he discovered someone had touched it without his permission, he'd never let him .
3) Everybody should Jesus Christ. Although being a king, he's never been the one who on anyone. His action of having given his life for all mankind has made him a for us.
4) It's true Eric was the for having allowed the other team score the winning goal, but we should point out that Tony's performance in the game was fabulous. He was really this time.
5) The president of the club decided to make the coach the even though there were many reasons for the team's bad performance on this championship.
6) Today's Jack's first day at work and he woke up of to get there quickly. But he couldn't imagine that would be one of those days for him. When he picked up the box of milk from the fridge to , he noticed it was and threw it away. He didn't want to waste time having breakfast anymore and went to the bus stop. He took the bus but some miles ahead it . He walked to work and finally got there - late, of course. When he looked at his boss standing by the table, he ; he had messed up his day. But Jack could never have heard such good news. His boss the by telling him he would just have to start working the next day.
7) "Did your parents with your choice of college?" "Well, at first they got upset because I'll have to move to England, but I've been all my tips for that.But later, when they noticed I was so about studying at Cambridge University, they of me and realized they'd have to let me get ahead in life.
III) Use DO/DOES/DID to avoid the repetition of the verbs:
a) "Who washes your laundry?" "My wife .
b) I promised I'd never phone Larry again, but I .
c) Ronald plays soccer just like the best players .
IV) Mark the item that best completes the sentences.
1) We helped the lost puppy __________________its owner.
FIND TO FIND FIND/TO FIND FINDS
2) Dad never lets me__________________with my buddies.
TRAVEL TO TRAVEL TRAVEL/TO TRAVEL TRAVELS
3) The teacher made me______________all the homework again.
DO TO DO DO/TO DO DOING
4) I saw a man____________ to break into Debby's house.
TRY TO TRY TRYING/TRY TRIES
5) Did you hear a horn ___________________?
HONK TO HONK HONK/HONKING HONKING
6) I was looking at the children ________ (1) the kitty when I felt somebody ____ (2) hold of my arm.
WASH TO WASH WASH/WASHING WASHING GRAB TO GRAB GRAB/GRABBING GRABBING
7) I was watching Dad______ (1) the car when I noticed Bob ________ (2) a snake into the house.
FIX TO FIX FIX/FIXING FIXING SMUGGLE TO SMUGGLE SMUGGLING SMUGGLE/SMUGGLING
8) I won't go to the pizzeria with you because I don't want to listen to Mary __________ about her life.
COMPLAIN TO COMPLAIN COMPLAINING COMPLAIN/COMPLAINING
9) I'm having trouble _______ (1) whether to go to the lecture or stay home. I guess I'll waste my time ________(2) to hear that boring man speaking nonsense.
DECIDE TO DECIDE DECIDE/DECIDING DECIDING GO TO GO GO/GOING GOING
10) When I got home, I smelled something _________ (1). I got surprised when I found my husband ______ (2) to make a special dinner for us.
BURN TO BURN BURN/BURNING BURNING TRY TO TRY TRY/TRYING TRYING
11) Jack didn't turn in his report to the teacher because he spent the whole weekend _________ around.
FOOL TO FOOL FOOL/FOOLING FOOLING
V) The words in bold and capitalized are not correct in each sentence; write the correct form.
1) The factory isn't very modern, but the director doesn't want to MODERNIFY it.
2) The real fact about the robbery is still DISKNOWN.
3) Would you mind if I ARRIVE a little late tomorrow?
4) Would you CARE some more tea?
5) Would it be all right if I ASK you a personal question?
6) Would you mind TURN on the air conditioner? It’s really hot here.
7) I smell something BURN inside the house. Please, can you check it out?
8. Teresa really UNLIKES her brother because he’s very annoying.
9. Amanda will never let me TO GO to her house after what I did to her today.
10. Today is my mother’s birthday and I bought FOR HER a nice black dress.
11. I had Frank PAINTED my house last weekend but he didn’t do a good job.
12. Martin wishes he KNOWS how to speak Italian.
13. I wish my mother WENT to the show with me last weekend.
14. If we WOULD HAVE KNOWN that she had planned to arrive today, we could have met her at the airport.
15. If I had HAVE more time, I would have checked my paper again.
16. We wish that you WILL CHANGE your mind about leaving tomorrow.
17. I wish that I COULD MEET your father last night.
18. Maria wishes that George WAS here now.
19. Let’s get Robert GO give this present to Mr. Gabriel tomorrow.
20. Tom told Frank that his desk was DISORGANIZING.