Exercises on the Past Tenses
Complete the sentences using the Past Simple or the Past Continuous of the verbs in brackets:
2. Adam wanted to make two posters. He madewas makinghad made(make) the first poster on Saturday. He was madewas makinghad made (make) the second poster when his friends arrivedwere arrivinghad arrived (arrive).
3. The rain startedwas startinghad started(start) while I walkedwas walkinghad walked (walk) home from school.
4. I sawwas seeinghad seen (see) an injured elephant while I visitedwas visitinghad visited (visit) the zoo.
5. Pam and I wentwas goinghad gone (go) to a basketball match last week, the yellow team lostwere losinghad lost (lose) in the beginning of the match but by the end they wonwere winninghad won (win) the game twenty five to twenty.
6. The phone rangwas ringinghad rung(ring) while I atewas eatinghad eaten (eat) breakfast.
7. When Sara finishedwas finishinghad finished (finish) school, she wentwas goinghade gone(go) to study French in the university.
· Sara: ' What time (you/get) home from school?
· Lena: 'At four o'clock.'
· Sara: ' What did you do when you (get) home?
· Lena: 'I (eat) a sandwich, then I (take) a shower and when I (take) a shower the phone rang.
· Sara: 'Oh yes, that was probably me, I (want) to ask you if you wanted to come over.
· Lena: 'Well, Why (do/not/you) call me again?'
· Sara: 'I didn't call because my mom (ask) me to go shopping with her. While we (shop) I saw a beautiful skirt in one of the shops.
· Lena: 'Why (do/not/you) buy it?
· Sara:'It was too expensive.'
Use the Past Perfect to complete the sentences:
2. Jill was talking to her brother and he said, 'Have you ever been to a soccer game?'
3. Mom said, ' Dad has just come home.'
Mom told us that dad
Mr. Abad said he knew my dad because he