Write the name of the country next to its flag.
The Flag of the United Kingdom is the Union Flag, also called “Union Jack”. It was created by the superimposition of the Flag of England (St George’s cross) the Flag of Scotland (St Andrew’s cross) and St Patrick’s Flag in 1801. Wales is not represented in the Union Flag as Wales had been conquered and annexed to England prior to the formation of the United Kingdom.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Some other symbols of the United Kingdom include:
· The members of the Royal Family, first of all, the King or Queen. Elisabeth II has been ruling since 1952.
· The clock tower is situated on the banks of the river Thames and is part of the Palace of Westminster. Officially "Big Ben" refers to the huge thirteen ton bell that strikes the hour.
· The Yeomen Warders, popularly known as the Beefeaters, are ceremonial guardians of Her Majesty's Royal Palace and Fortress The Tower of London. In principle they are responsible for looking after any prisoners at the Tower and safeguarding the British crown jewels, but in practice they act as tour guides.
· The red double-decker buses in London have become an icon of Britain. Particularly the Routemaster bus, which had been in London for nearly half a century following its introduction in 1956.
· Who has not heard of the famous English tea?