PRESENT SIMPLE- CONTINUOUS- PAST SIMPLE- CONTINUOUS
4 tenses revision
past simple on the farm 1
Technicum Si-Tarek of Relizane
Second Year Pupils - Scientific Streams
Reference sheet – 06
Unit V: Tales or News
A. Put the verbs in brackets into the Simple Past or Past Continuous.
1. They (buy) ice-creams while they (wait) to play.
2. They (play) when it (start) to rain.
3. They (stop) when the rain (start) .
4. When the rain (stop) they (go on) with their game.
5. They got married afterbefore they found a flat. (=They got married though they didn’t have a flat)
6. They got married afterbefore they found a flat. (=They got married in their own flat)
7. They put out the fire afterbefore the fire brigade arrived. (=The fire brigade was on time to put out the fire)
8. They put out the fire afterbeforethe fire brigade arrived. (=The fire brigade was late)
9. The car was repaired afterbefore he sold it. (=He sold it damaged)
10. The car was repaired afterbefore he sold it. (=The car was working well when he sold it)
C. Rewrite the sentences using past simple and past perfect simple. Use the words in brackets.
11. The woman slept. Then, her husband came home. (already / when)
12. She put on her make-up. Then, she went to work. (after)
13. He noticed the smoke in the house. Then, he called the fire brigade. (before)
14. I finished setting the table. Then, the guests knocked the door. (just / when)
D. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct tense.(Past simple, continuous or perfect)
It was Friday again, the day for famous parties at Wellington High School. Students (dance) in the garden and everyone (enjoy) the pleasure of being away from boring lessons.
When Sarah (come) to the party, the music (already / start). Tim suddenly (notice) Sarah and (feel) shocked. He had (look for) her for 2 years. They (meet) each other at a holiday camp in 1999, but mysteriously Sarah (disappear) after a while. He (think) about her since then.
At the party, Sarah (talking) to one of her friends while most of the students (drink) as much as they could. Tim (decide) to talk to her and (wait) for her friend to leave. When he (go) next to her, she (search for) something in her bag, so she (not see) him. As soon as he (touch) her on the shoulder, she (raise) her head and couldn’t believe her eyes. She (never / forget) him.
At the end of the party, no one (be) happier than Sarah and Tim as they (find) each other after 2 years.