Past Simple or Past Continuous
Put the verbs in brackets in the correct tense:
1. We (PLAY) tennis when it (START) to rain.
2. Mum (SLEEP) when somebody (KNOCK) at the door.
3. Emma (DO) her homework when her mother (ENTER) the room.
4. Mrs Smith (CLEAN) the house while her husband (COOK) lunch.
5. When I (TURN ON) the television, our national team (LOSE).
6. While I (STUDY) yesterday morning, Tom (DROP) by to see me.
7. When they (ARRIVE) at the station, it (SNOW) heavily.
8. We (SWIM) while David and Peter (JOG) by the lake.
9. While she (READ) the newspapers, her brother (LISTEN) to music.
10. I (TALK) with my parents, when the phone (RING).
11. When I last (SEE) Mrs Black, she (WATER) the flowers in her garden.