1. Fill in with WAS or WERE. Then turn the sentences into the negative and the interrogative:
1. ��Whereyou last Sunday?
�2.��������������� Jack at school this morning?
3. ��Susan at work last week.
4.����your grandparents French?
5. ��I� in Italy.
2. Put the words in the correct order.
1. �morning?� at� you��� this�� were ��work
2. �was ��I ���in ��London ��yesterday
3. �last� �were ���night��� they ���in ���restaurant ���a
4. �Where��� �your ���was�� �mother �born?
5. a teacher ���my��� �grandmother ���was
6. �I ���born ��Paris� �in ���was
3. Put the verbs in brackets into the Past Tense Simple:
1.������ Paul (drink) a pint of beer last night.
2.������ Diana (play)the piano last night.
3.������ Daniel and his companions (walk) through the forest yesterday.
4.������ Mother (prepare)a marvellous dinner last night.
5.������ His brother (hurry)to catch the last train for Cardiff.
6.������ Tony (speak) to his grandfather after supper.
7.������ Shakespeare (write) both comedies and tragedies.
8.������ The Second World War (begin)� in 1939.
9.������ Julie (buy)� jam and sugar at the grocer�s yesterday.
10.�� They (grow)� carrots and cabbages in their garden last year.
11.�� The couple of artists (leave) Canada two tears ago.
12.�� Tom (lose) all his money at the casino last night.
13.�� Susie (wake up)� late yesterday morning.
14.�� They (light) the fire in the dinning- room last night.
15.�� Two days ago they (cycle) from London to Liverpool.
16.�� She (buy) a new pair of shoes yesterday.
17.�� The Browns (meet)their friends at the cinema yesterday.
4. Put in the verbs in brackets into the gaps. Use the Simple Past. Watch the punctuation and form sentences or questions.