ATTENTION! IF YOU CLICK "ok" YOU WILL RECEIVE A NEGATIVE MARK FOR EXERCISES 1 AND 4. WHY? BECAUSE YOU'RE REQUIRED TO WRITE YOUR OWN ANSWERS AND THE PC CANNOT CHECK THEM ALL! AT HOME PRINT THIS E-EXCERCISE AND ADD IT TO YOUR FOLDER.
Browse the website www.roalddahl.com . Go to section Roald Dahl/Meet Raold Dahl and take the quiz. If you don’t know the answers you can guess. The computer will help you answer. Complete your personal chart by answering the questions about yourself.
Now look at the home-page of the website. Click on the icon Roald Dahl Day and answer the following questions:
- When is Roald Dahl Day celebrated?
- What is the occasion?
- Where is it celebrated?
- What is the Roald Dahl Reading Relay? a summer class on Roald Dahl’s worka reading competition of Roald Dahl’s booksa trip to Roald Dahl’s hometown
Activity 2 – Vocabulary
Match the words/expressions with the correct definitions. Use the vocab chart you (should) have done during the Christmas break to help you. Also look for the words in the text so the context can help you.
1) Getting soaked to the skin A) a way to look at someone very seriously and coldly
2) In the first place B) he is not ashamed of himself nor sorry for his behaviour
3) Bushy C) a dishonest person
4) Frosty-nosed stare D) he is (secretly) planning something mischievous
5) It’s a rotten thing to do E) to begin with
6) Crook F) to pass your toungue on your lips
7) Summing someone up G) being very wet because of rain
8) Clutching (to clutch) H) it is a very bad action
9) He’s got a nerve I) holding on to someone firmly and not letting go
10) Neat J) figuring someone out by the way they look
11) He’s up to something K)smart, clever
12) To lick L) thick and unkept
1)_____ 2)_____ 3)_____ 4)____ 5)_____ 6)_____
7)_____ 8)_____ 9)_____ 10)_____ 11)____ 12)_____
Activity 3 – The story
Put the following sentences into the right cronological order in the story:
1)_____ 2)_____ 3)_____ 4)_____ 5)_____ 6)_____
7)_____ 8)_____ 9)_____ 10)_____ 11)____ 12)____
A. The girl feels embarassed by her mother’s sharpness
B. The two women are getting soaked in the rain and want to call a taxi
C. An old man approaches the the women and asks for a favour
D. The old man is having a drink
E. The old man offers to give his umbrella in exchange for a pound note
F. The mother looks at the old man suspiciously
G. The old man steals an umbrella
H. The old man crosses the street and disappears into a side-street. He is walking very fast.
I. Mother and daughter spot (=see) the old man in the Red Lion Pub
J. Mother and daughter are in a café eating banana splits
K. The mother decides to follow the old man
L. The woman gives the old man a one-pound note
Activity 4 – Writing about the story
This story was included in a collection called Tales of The Unexpected (Storie dell’Imprevisto). What are some things in the story that are “unexpected”? You can answer in bullet points.
Look at the following words and connect them to a moment in the story. Write a few sentences for each words and talk about the context of the story in which they appear. Use original words, do not copy from the story.