4. Producers were desperate because
doesn’t earn as much money for his films as he does as a musician .
doesn’t like having to go from one hotel to another while making films.
doesn’t have a house or flat to live in like others.
is not very fond of motorbikes .
6. Keanu has already had a couple of accidents in which he injured
his leg and upper front part of the body.
his arm and upper front part of the body .
his arm and head .
his leg and back .
7. This actor enjoys
rejecting offers which he finds ridiculous.
his good looks, fame and money.
sweet food like cherries .
doing his best when he’s given an opportunity.
8. Keanu Reaves
has not always enjoyed his job.
does not care much about being attractive.
does not find life so easy and sweet.
is proud of being praised by others.
I Choose the correct option (a, b, c or d):
1. His bicycle’s been already found, ______________?
is it not
2. I know it’s not going to be _____ easy ______ too interesting, but I still want to try it.
either …. or
and … and
neither … nor
as … as
3. Look, it says here that the ____________ department is on the third floor.
4. I have to go ______ home now, but I’ll be back _______ twenty minutes, so wait here.
to … in
to … for
/ … for
/ … in
5. I __________ her if she ___________ that again.
hit … will say
‘ll hit … would say
‘ll hit … says
‘ll hit … said
6. You can’t live very long without ___________.
7. Will you ____________ to see me off at the airport tomorrow morning?
8. What’s the typical food that __________English eat at _________ Easter?
the … the
the … /
/ … the
/ … /
9. Her classmates sometimes simply enjoy _________ arrogant to other girls in the class.
10. _________your tongue, young man! How dare you talk to me like that?
Look out for
Take care of
II Complete the text using the appropriate form of the words in brackets:
I went to Edinburgh last week on business. Previously, I’d already made the (1)
(decide) to do some shopping after the meetings. So I (2) (set) off
towards the city centre. I entered this huge shopping mall and very quickly
my eyes (3) (draw) to a beautifully arranged shoe store. I found a model
of boots perfect for my daughter, but when the shop assistant asked me for the size,
I felt so (4) (embarrass) because I suddenly realized I didn’t know it.
Nor did I know my daughter’s (5) (high) which I needed to buy her a proper jacket
she’d ordered from me. When I (6) (raise) my hand, the shop assistant was looking
at me (7) (anger) as if she wanted to say: ‘’Oh, you fathers!’’ A regretful smile was
(8) (little) I could offer her before I apologized and left the shop promising to be
back as soon as I made a phone call. Unfortunately, although I (9) (keep) calling for
hours, I couldn’t get my daughter or wife on the phone. I felt like I was betraying the most
important (10) (friend) I had ever developed in my life.
III Combine each pair of sentences into one sentence using a relative
pronoun or indirect speech and the given beginning.
1. The woman has gone to the police station. The woman’s car was stolen.
2. How does this new dishwasher work? I don’t understand that.
3. What did you lend her the money for? I want to know it.
4. Must we send all the invitations today? I don’t know that.
5. Gaudi designed lots of these buildings. He was a famous Spanish architect.
IV Read the whole text first.
Then fill in each blank with one suitable word:
The new teacher entered (1) classroom and introduced (2) to the class:
‘’My name is Mrs Hughes.’’ The teacher opened the attendance register and called the
(3) names to check if anybody was (4) from school that day. There were
23 of them and Mrs Hughes recognized only little Stephen Martins (5) the rest of