Opstinsko takmicenje iz engleskog jezika, 1998
Pripremila Biljana Mihajlovic
I FILL IN THE BLANKS
If you think that no word is needed, put a *.
In 15th century many explorers wanted to find shorter way to India. Italian sailor Christopher Columbus thought he could reach it by sailing west. On 3rd of August, 1492, Columbus was given three ships for trip. This is how New World was discovered.
Yesterday my brother and I were quarrelling. He got mad and threw a book me. The book hit a vase. It fell and broke pieces. that moment our mother came the room. She said nothing. She only looked us angrily. We left the room silence.
II COMPLETE THE POEM BY PUTTING IN THE SHORT FORMS OF THE WORDS:
we have / I will / there is / that is
Mother, a strange man
waiting at the door.
Shall I give him what he wants
or send him on his way?
OK, give him 5 p
Say all got today.
III THERE IS ONE MISTAKE IN EACH OF THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES. FIND IT AND WRITE THE CORRECTED SENTENCE BELOW.
1. Where did you go last morning?
2. As I have not got any car, I shall come by bus.
3. Do you like hearing music?
4. Ann needn’t work hard, because she finds English easily.
5. What does it like?
6. Which kind of work would you like to do one day?
1. who come home late
2. where the bus stopped
3. why I was crying
V COMPLETE THE SENTENCES. USE THE CORRECT FORM OF THE WORDS IN BRACKETS.
Yesterday I went to the zoo and saw grey (wolf) with little (puppy). Only a few meters away a herd of (deer) was resting in the shade. Some wild (goose) were swimming in the nearby pond. It was a lovely sight.
Barbara Walter is a successful writer. She was only 16 when she (win) her first prize. She (got) several awards since then. She (now work) on a new book. (write), as you know, (always be) her main preoccupation in life.
VI CHOOSE THE BEST ANSWER (a, b or c)
1. What ________ to her?
2. John is always on holiday. He ________ to Budva.
3. We never write a letter in red ink, ________?
do we not do we don’t we
4. How ________ now? Better than last night?
are you feeling you feel you are feeling
5. It’s a lovely afternoon. Let’s go ________.
swim to swimming swimming
6. You do not eat the right things. You eat ________ junk food.
too much lot of plenty