CONDITIONALS WITH HARRY POTTER
FIRST TYPE CONDITIONAL CLAUSES
if clauses - type 0 - 1 - 2 -
First Conditional - exercises
Conditional "type 0" and "type 1" test
LET'S SEE HOW THE
CONDITIONAL WORKS WITH THE HARRY POTTER STORIES. WHICH CONDITIONAL SITUATIONS ARE ALWAYS TRUE? CHOOSE THE BEST OPTION.
1. If a dragon is chained, it
won't get angry
gets really mad
would have gotten angry
2. If Ron sees a spider, he
is absolutely happy
is very hungry
3. If you use the unforgiveable curses, it
meant you are bored
means you are not a nice wizard
would mean you are sick
4. A hypogrif is a calm and kind creature if you
don't hurt or offend it
didn't hurt or offend it
did hurt or offend it
5. If students walk through the Forbidden Forest at night, they
is in danger
isn't in danger
are in danger
6. Hagrid always talks a lot if he
7. If you walk into Diagon Alley, they
have everything a wizard needs
sell only clothes there
don't sell wizards' stuff
CONDITIONAL DEALS WITH STUFF THAT CAN ACTUALLY HAPPEN IN THE FUTURE. LET'S PREDICT WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN WITH J. K. ROWLING IN THE FUTURE. FILL IN THE BLANKS WITH THE MOST SUITABLE VERB FORMS FOR THE FIRST CONDITIONAL.
1. Some people think that if J. K. Rowling stops writing Harry Potter books , she
(lose) all her money.
2. Some believe that if she writes more Harry Potter books, they
(not be) such a huge success.
3. Some will say that she will definitely become boring is she
(keep) writing only Harry Potter stories.
4. There are those who believe her family will go crazy if she
(write) another book about Potter.
5. If she does decide to continue writing, people
(be) interested, that's for sure.
6. Some critics think nobody
(take) her seriously if she starts writing books for adults.
7. Even if she never writes anything more in her life, she
(have) Harry to be proud of forever.
LET'S PRETEND WE ARE PART OF THE STORY. IF WE WERE, WHAT WOULD WE DO? USE THE
CONDITIONAL TO GUIDE YOU. HERE ARE SOME POSSIBLE ANSWERS, BUT EACH OF THEM CONTAINS A MISTAKE. TRY TO FIND IT AND WRITE THE CORRECT WORD IN THE BOX.
1. If I studies at Hogwarts, I would definitely take Defence against the Dark Arts.
2. If I owned a magic broom, I will fly all around the world.
3. If I had the Invisibility Cloak, I would sneaked into Dumbledore's room.
4. If my friends visited me there, I woudl take them for a walk to the Forbidden Forest.
5. If my parents somehow learnt that I was at Hogwarts, they would definitely thinks I was crazy.
6. If I saw Harry Potter, I would screamed with excitement.
7. If Professor McGonagall were my teacher, she will probably be angry with me for being late.
NOW WE ARE GOING TO GUESS WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IN THE STORY, IF SOME THINGS HAD TAKEN ON A DIFFERENT TURN. ANSWER THE QUESTIONS USING THE GIVEN WORDS AS SHOWN IN THE EXAMPLE. ADD WHAT YOU NEED. THE TASK IS PREPARED FOR THE
: What would have happened if Cedric hadn't been killed by Voldemort?
Harry would have had more help against Voldemort.
1. Where would Ron's family have lived had they not been so poor?
RON'S FAMILY/PROBABLY/LIVE/BIGGER HOUSE
2. What could have happened if Neville's gillyweed hadn't worked well for Harry in the Triwizard Tournament?
3. How should Malfoy have treated the hypogrif if he had wanted to fly it?
4. What would have happened to Hagrid's dragon if he hadn't been found?
HAGRID'S DRAGON/GROW/INTO/BIG ONE/AT HOGWARTS
5. What could have happened to Harry if he had lived in the magic world, instead of the Dursleys, as a kid?
6. What would Neville's parents have done if they had been present during the final battle for Hogwarts?
NEVILLE'S PARENTS/FIGHT/HARRY'S SIDE
7. What could have happened if Neville hadn't slain Nagini with the sword of Gryffindor?
RON AND HERMIONE/DIE
THE FINAL TASK IS A GAME YOU CAN PLAY WITH A FRIEND, YOUR TEACHER OR SIMPLY TO CHALLENGE YOURSELF. IT WILL NOT EARN YOU POINTS IN THIS TASK, BUT IT IS CERTAINLY USEFUL AND FUN TO DO. WATCH AN INTERVIEW WITH EMMA WATSON (Hermione) AND TRY TO SPOT WHICH CONDITIONAL QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS SHE GETS. TRY TO IDENTIFY THEIR TYPE AND SAY, WRITE OR JUST THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU WOULD ANSWER TO THOSE QUESTIONS. HAVE FUN!